Institutional support stands as a cornerstone for fostering women’s development in society. By providing accessible education, equitable employment opportunities, and comprehensive healthcare, these structures empower women to break barriers, excel, and contribute meaningfully. Through these measures, societies not only ensure gender equality but also unlock the full potential of half their population, driving progress and prosperity. In Pakistan, the number of women-owned businesses remains limited, and the challenges encountered by female entrepreneurs differ significantly from those faced by men. To highlight these discrepancies and ensure the advancement, support, and safeguarding of women entrepreneurs’ vital interests, Fairtrade NAPP signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Women Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Sialkot.
A comprehensive meeting was organized on August 9th at the Women’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry Sialkot (WCCIS) in conjunction with Fairtrade NAPP for the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). This momentous event signified a milestone in establishing stronger partnerships, with representatives from both Fairtrade NAP and WCCIS in attendance. The Fairtrade delegation, led by Mr Asad Bajwa, Chairman of Fairtrade NAPP, and Ms. Sara Anum, Fairtrade NAPP Country Programme Consultant for Pakistan and Iran, engaged in discussions with esteemed members of WCCIS including President Dr. Maryam Nouman, SVP Ms. Gulzaib Awan, EC Members Ms. Uzma Zaka, Ms. Lubna Tabassum, and Legal Advisor Ms. Nadia Qaiser, as well as EC Members Ms. Shabina Gillani. This ceremonious event showcased a dedicated commitment to collaboration, aiming to collectively drive positive impact and advancement.
The MoU’s core objectives encompass a multifaceted approach to enhancing societal progress and sustainable practices with a specific focus on the empowerment of women. These key goals are outlined as follows:
1. Joint Strategy Development and Resource Utilization: The first objective revolves around the development of a cohesive joint strategy by utilizing the necessary resources owned by both Fairtrade NAPP and WCCIS. By amalgamating their individual capacities, roles, and functions, both parties seek to fortify their efforts in advancing women’s empowerment. This strategic alliance aims to amplify the impact of initiatives designed to uplift women within various spheres of influence.
2. Synergy for Sustainable Initiatives: The second objective underscores the significance of synergy development and collaborative efforts. Both Fairtrade NAPP and WCCIS will synchronize their actions, pooling resources, and expertise. This concerted approach extends to encompass research, advocacy, and direct initiatives that ensure the fostering of suitable farming practices. By promoting sustainable trade practices and conducting relevant market research, this alliance strives to instigate positive transformations within the agricultural sector, further contributing to women’s empowerment.
Areas of Partnership:
The collaborative framework extends across various pivotal realms, including but not confined to:
1. Enhancing Quality of Life for Women Workers: Both entities unite to enhance the quality of life for women workers and farmers participating within the Fairtrade set-up in Pakistan to ensure their commitment to equitable development.
2. Research, Advocacy, and Standards: This partnership embarks on joint research and advocacy undertakings while encompassing law and policy evaluations. It also promotes equitable working conditions, fair pricing, sustainable practices, product standardization and improving value chains among cooperatives.
3. Shared Initiatives: The collaboration extends to joint proposals and initiatives dedicated to cooperative enterprises, fairtrade practices, and initiatives concerning gender mainstreaming, youth engagement, environmental sustainability, disaster management, and market accessibility in Pakistan.
4. Capacity Building: Both parties commit to conducting training and capacity-building programs for women and vulnerable groups within the community.
5. Research and Development: This partnership extends to research, scientific development and technology advancement aimed at strengthening producer organization, strengthening farmer organization, and enhancing overall farmer’s welfare.
6. Empowering Women Entrepreneurs: A key focus lies in collecting data pertaining to women entrepreneurs to facilitate the development of initiatives that foster their growth and support their endeavours.
Through this collaborative initiative, Fair Trade NAPP and the Women Chamber of Commerce and Industry Sialkot (WCCIS) demonstrate a mutual dedication to instigate sustainable change, empower women, and propel community progress. This partnership, solidified by the MoU, unifies their endeavors with a resolute aim to yield meaningful influence. By aligning their objectives and pooling resources, the two entities are poised to effect significant advancements in gender empowerment and sustainable practices, thus paving the way for a more equitable and prosperous future. This dynamic alliance not only capitalizes on shared aspirations but also endeavors to amplify their impact across various domains.